This chicken gravy pairs well with plain white rice and with any indian breads like poori, naan or chapathi.
|Coconut chicken gravy|
1 kg/ 2 lb chicken
2 med onion
1 med tomato
4 small green chillies
1 tsp ginger garlic paste.
2-3tsp chilli powder
1 tsp turmeric pwdr
1 tsp curry masala
few curry leaves
salt to taste
3/4 cup shredded coconut
1 tsp fennel seed
1/4 tsp poppy seed
c. Grind coconut with fennel and poppy seeds.
1. Heat oil in a pan. Add the cloves, cardamoms and cinnamon.
2. Add onion and green chillies and fry till the onion becomes soft with a golden hue.
3. Reduce the heat and add curry leaves, ginger & and garlic paste, chilli powder, turmeric powder, chicken masala, and salt.
4. Add the chicken and stir it well with the masala and cook on medium.
5. When the chicken is half done add the chopped tomato and cook till it blends well with the masala.
6. Add the ground coconut with little water to get the required thickness for the gravy.
7. Cover the pan with lid. Reduce the heat.
8. Remove it from heat when the oil separates* from the masala and the raw smell no longer remains.
9. Transfer it to a serving dish and serve it hot with rice or with any Indian bread.
*Thin layer of oil coming through the sides and over the gravy.
Thanks for taking the time to visit my blog. If you try this recipe, please comment on it. I like to hear how it came out.
Suggested veggie side dish: Kose Poriyal/Cabbage and peas poriyal