|Quinoa stir fry with egg|
The United Nations General Assembly declared 2013 as the international year for Quinoa, in recognition of ancestral practices of the Andean people, who have preserved quinoa as food for present and future generations, through knowledge and practices of living in harmony with nature. Quinoa has been called a super food, it is a source of protein and it contains more amino acids than other grains.
1/2 cup cooked quinoa contains 17 grams carb, 2.5 grams fibre, 4 grams protein and 111 cal. It's glycemic index (GI) is 9. Foods lower in glycemic index is digested and absorbed slowly, thus producing gradual rise in blood sugar and insulin levels. It can be substituted for rice, pasta, bulgur or millet in any recipe -about.com, wikipedia, wholefoodsmarket.
To know more about glycemic index click the link What is GI?
1 cup quinoa
1/2 cup water
1/4 tsp salt (to taste)
1.5 - 2 cups finely chopped- cooked chicken/beef/shrimp
1/4 tsp turmeric
2 tsp preferred seasoning/masala powder
2 cups/ 12oz chopped seasonal vegetables/ i used 12oz mixed
1 tsp chilli pwdr (optional)
2+ 3+1 tsp oil
* Use indian meat- masala pwdr/ currypwdr/ MrsDash or 2 pks of * Top Ramen/ Maggie seasoning.
* To get a crunchy texture, stir fry cooked quinoa in 2 tsp oil (high) before adding it to vegetable/meat mixture.
* Rinse quinoa few times before cooking (use wire mesh sieve), the seeds are coated with saponins, a natural plant chemical that can cause bitter taste.
*Omit the meat and make it a vegetarian dish (still high in protein)
1. Dry roast quinoa in a pan. Cool, rinse and drain it in a fine mesh strainer. Cook with 1/2 cup water and 2 tsp oil. When it's 90% cooked, cover and remove from heat.
|dry roast quinoa!|
|brown cooked meat...|
5. In a pan, fry an egg with 1 tsp oil, should be well cooked without crispy edge (i over cooked my egg)
|Spicy quinoa stirfry!|
Thanks for visiting this page. Feel free to comment, i love your feedback. Enjoy ur cooking! Hav a blessed day :)