Baturas must be eaten hot and cannot be reheated.
15 gms / 1/2 oz fresh yeast
5 ml / 1 tsp granulated sugar
120 ml / 1/2 cup warm water
200g / 2 cups all purpose flour / maida
50 gm / 1/2 cup semolina / rava
2.5 ml / 1/2 tsp salt
15gm / 1 tbs ghee or butter
30 ml / 2 tbs plain yogurt / curd
oil for frying
1. Mix the yeast with the sugar and water in a bowl.
|mix yeast and sugar in warm water|
3. Add the yeast mixture and yogurt to the dough, mix well. Turn out on to a lightly floured surface and knead for 10 mins until smooth and elastic.
4. Place the dough in an oiled bowl, cover with clear plastic and leave to rise in a warm place for 1 hour or until doubled in size.
5. Turn out on to a lightly floured surface and punch down. Divide into twelve equal pieces and shape each into a ball. Flatten it into discs and roll out on a lightly floured surface into 5" rounds.
6. Heat oil to a depth of 1 cm in a deep frying pan. Slide one batura about 1 minute and turning over. remove from oven and drain in a paper towel and fry the remaining baturas. Serve immediately.