Friday, September 13, 2013
This is my mother in law's super easy and healthy fish gravy. It's very tasty with white rice, fried fish, veggie poriyal and curd :) When she visited us she made this and ever since this is our fav. fish dish.
2 (each 6 oz/ 170 grams) fish fillets
1 tsp tamarind paste
3-6 tbs oil
salt to taste
1 1/2 med sized onion (finely chopped)
4 green chillies
2 clove garlic (chop)
1 med tomato
1/2 tsp turmeric pwdr
1/2 tsp coriander pwdr
1 tsp cumin/ jeera pwdr
5-6 curry leaves
1/2 thinly sliced onion
2 green chilli
1-2 tsp chilli pwdr
1 tsp whole cumin, mustard seeds, methi/ fenugreek seeds
1. Clean the fish with a little turmeric, grind the ingredients given under-"to grind" to a fine paste with little water.
2. Heat oil in pan, fry the whole spices given under "to season" in low flames till it get's aromatic.
3. Add onion and curry leaves and fry till it becomes golden brown.
Add chilli pwdr and stir it few times with the oil.
4. Combine the ground onion mix with the onion masala in the pan, add 3 cups of water.
5. Increase the flame to med/high, when the stew starts to boil, add the fish and let it boil for 5 mins, reduce the heat and let it simmer until you get your desired consistency.
6. Add tamarind paste and salt.
7. Let it sit for afew hours, before serving with rice.