Parupu vada is a South Indian snack, it's made with split and de husked garbanzo beans and combined with onion, chillies, curry leaves and cumin seeds/ fennel seeds. This is an indian version of falafel. I made this vada with whole garbanzo beans and broccoli
Garbanzo beans, ceci beans, chana, sanagalu,kondai kadalai and bengal gram are some of the common names for chick peas.
|Broccoli vada !!!|
2 cups garbanzo/ chick pea
1 cup finely chopped broccoli
1 tsp fennel seeds/ saunf
1 clove garlic (minced)
few finely chopped curry leaves
4 red chillies
1 tbs besan flour/ chickpea flour or corn starch
salt to taste
1. Grind garbanzo/ chick peas, fennel seed and red chillies coarsely.
2. Combine it with the finely chopped broccoli, besan flour / corn starch, garlic, curry leaves and salt.
3. Take 1 tbs of mixture in the palm of the hand and flatten it (the middle of the vadai should be thicker than it's side), continue making vada discs with the remaining mixture and arrange it on a plate.
4. Heat oil in a pan (med/high), when the oil becomes hot enough (dip a wooden spoon inside the oil, it should get steady bubbles around it), drop 1-3 vada in the oil. Reduce the heat to medium and fry it for few mins. Flip it and cook, until both sides become golden brown.
Tips for taste:
1. Fry 2-3 vadas at a time, over crowding the pan will decrease the heat, making the vadas absorb more oil.
2. Slightly wet the hands before shaping the vadas.
Feel free to comment, i love your feedback. Enjoy ur cooking! Have a blessed day :)