1 cup semolina / rava
3 green chillies
few curry leaves
few strands cilantro/ coriander leaves
1 tbs shredded coconut
1.5 cup water
salt to taste
3 tsp oil
1/2 tsp mustard seed
1 tsp black gram/ urud dhal
1. Dry roast the rava on low flame, (we can smell a nice roasted smell when it's done). The rava should be roasted properly - to avoid a sticky upma
2. Remove the rava from the pan and keep it aside. Heat oil in the same pan and add mustard seeds and black gram seeds / urud dhal.
3. After the mustard splutters, add the curry leaves, onion and green chillies. When the onion becomes brown add the turmeric powder and coconut.
4. Add water and salt.
5. When the water starts to boil, reduce the heat, add the rava mixture slowly to the water, stirring it all the time.
6. Stir it well without any lumps. Garnish it with coriander leaves.
Tips for taste:
1. Coconut chutney is a good side dish for upma.
coconut chutney recipe
2. For a quick upma, dry roast large amount of rava, cool it and store in a container.
|Upma in MLA pesarattu|