|rice, jaggery and spices...|
1 cup uncooked rice
3/4 cup water
3/4 cup *jaggery / vellam
1/2" dried ginger
1 pinch salt
2 tbs dried coconut pieces
* made with unrefined cane sugar juice or with the sap of date palm tree.
1. Heat a pan and dry roast the rice till it becomes puffed and light brown in color, let it cool for some time.
2. Grind the rice, dried ginger and cardamom in a blender / grinder to a fine powder.
3. Sift the rice flour with a sieve to separate any remaining coarse rice, grind it again to a fine flour. Reserve 2 tbs flour for dusting.
4. In a separate saucepan heat the water and add the jaggery and salt, stir it till the jaggery gets dissolved. Remove from heat and strain it to remove any impurities in it.
5. Pour the liquid in the pan again and boil it for 5 more mins, to get a thick sugar syrup, remove from heat.
6. Make a mound of the flour on a flat work surface.
7. Create a hollow/ well in the middle of the mound and add spoonfuls of sugar syrup into it and stir the mixture with a fork.
8. Make small balls with the wet flour. Roll the balls real quick as it tends to become dry and hard very soon. Coat the balls with the reserved flour.
9. Allow it to cool and store it in an airtight container. This sweet has longer shelf life.
|dry roast the rice....|
|sift the flour and reserve some for dusting...|
|boil the sugar syrup....|
|mound the flour...|
|add the sugar syrup to the flour..|
|stir the mixture with a fork|
|hardened sweet balls ready|