I love this tarts. It's easy to make: prepare the pastry shell, custard and bake it together.
|Custard Coconut Tarts|
Ingredients for pastry shell:
2cups all purpose flour
1/4 tsp baking pwdr
1/4 tsp salt
*4ounce chilled cream cheese
*4 ounce chilled butter
2tbs ice water
2 tbs powdered sugar
Few spoons of sugar for dusting
*4ounce=113 grams=1 cup. Cut the butter into small cubes.
To make pastry shell:
1. Sift the flour, salt and baking powder together.
2. In a bowl beat the softened cream cheese and butter cubes.
3. Add the flour mixture and blend it till the flour resembles coarse meal.
4. Add sugar and ice water and pulse it till the flour resembles small peas.
5. Take the flour out and knead it lightly to form a dough.
6. Roll it into a log, wrap it and refrigerate it for 30-45 mins.
1cup whole milk
2 large eggs
1 large egg yolk
2 1/2 cups shredded coconut
2tsp vanilla extract
To make custard:
1. Heat milk (low) till small bubbles starts to form on the edges.
2. In a bowl beat the eggs and the egg yolk one at a time ,beating in between each addition add sugar, salt and vanilla extract.
3. Add the milk and the coconut, blend well.
To bake custard coconut tarts:
1. Take out the dough and divide it into 4 parts and flatten it with a rolling pin to form 1/8 inch thick discs.
2. Drape it over the tart mold and press it gently to the sides and the bottom evenly, remove the excess dough and repeat this process with the remaining molds.
3. Prick the bottom of the shell with a fork.
4. Fill the custard into the tart shells.
5. Dust sugar evenly over the tarts.
6. Pre heat the oven to 350 degrees, Place the tarts on a baking sheet on the centre rack of the oven and bake it for 20-25 mins or until it's golden brown.
7. Cool it on a wire rack before removing from its mold.
Thanks for taking the time to visit my blog. If you try this recipe, please comment on it. I like to hear how it came out.
|Flour resembles small peas..|
|Roll,wrap and refrigerate the dough|
|Drape the dough over the tart mold...|