This is a rich dish reserved for special occasions, it's a popular sweet in Hyderabad and it originated in Pakistan. Shahi means royal, tukda means piece. Frying in ghee and soaking it in the creamy rabri makes the humble bread a royal fare. Other variants of this sweet, are double ka meetha ( bread sweet) and indian bread pudding
|Shahi Paneer Tudka|
6 slices white bread
1:1 ratio oil : ghee to fry
1/4 cup sugar
2 cardamoms (powdered)
1.5 cup milk
3-4 strands saffron
3/4 cup paneer (shredded)
1 tbs sugar
1 cardamom (powdered)
1/4 cup sugar
1/2 cup water
1/2 cup finely chopped nuts and raisins
1. To make rabri, first soak the saffron strands in 2 tsp milk for few minutes
2. Heat the remaining milk and sugar in a pan on low flame, add the saffron milk to it, stir it and scrape the sides of the pan often.
3. Remove from heat when the mixture becomes thick / when it reduces to half it's original amount.
4. Add the cardamom powder.
1. Heat the sugar with water and bring it to boil.
2. Lower the heat after the sugar gets dissolved.
Filling and frying :
1. Carefully cut the crusts off the bread slices, spoon 2tbs of paneer mix on each of the bread slice, fold and seal the edges together by pressing it.
2. Heat the ghee/oil in a frying pan and fry the stuffed bread slices till golden brown.
3. Soak the bread in the warm sugar syrup for a minute, repeat the process with all the bread slices. Now dip it in the rabri.
4. In a serving plate pour few spoons of rabri and arrange the bread slices over it pour any remaining rabri over it. Sprinkle the nuts and raisins over it.
|white bread slices|
|paneer and sugar ....|
|paneer stuffed bread|
|Shahi stuffed tukda....|